[aprssig] Fwd: 6M APRS via meteor scatter forum?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Oct 12 21:10:50 EDT 2017

More on 6m Meteor Scatter.  Bob

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ron VE8RT <ve8rt at yknwt.ca>
Date: Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] 6M APRS via meteor scatter forum?

Thanks everyone,

Maybe I should re-subscribe.  Nothing happened on the TAPR SIG list
after my posting, other threads about IFone apps, etc., I figured I was
in the wrong place.

Joel at rfconnection.com (been a customer for years) is putting
together a package to send me.  He rounded up a FT726 with options,
manuals, and spare modules.  I've asked him to look out for a few other
critical items (pre-amp, and if possible and affordable a linear).

What I asked Joel to do for me is something like Elmering, but at the
other end of the age scale.  I've been licenced since 1970, moved way
too many times, and should be retiring in a few years, lots of diverse
experience.  An article in the UK Scatterpoint on preparing for
retirement, thinning out the stuff before the SK estate sale, made an
impression.  For years I've been "exploring" the hobby, buying and
building things, impulse spending without a goal.  So I'd asked Joel if
some of his experienced friends would help give future station projects
a focus, wisely using the hobby allowance, and not accumulating odds
and ends for the estate sale (hopefully not for years to come).

Myself, and our local club members ( www.ykars.com ) have picked away
at the emergency communications challenges here for years.  Meteor
scatter holds out hope for simple message capability when HF conditions
are poor.  I think it has potential for our situation.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!  Again thanks!

    Ron VE8RT DP22

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 16:45:45 -0400
Cory Vickruck <crvickru at lakeheadu.ca> wrote:

> Also I would be happy to setup an igate for him to test. I think I might
be
> just out of range however. I am in thunder bay Ontario
>

> On Oct 12, 2017 4:31 PM, "Cory Vickruck" <crvickru at lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
>
> > After reading a bit more about the topic I am interested in trying it
out.
> > How much power would be enough for reliable packets at 6m APRS?
> >

> > On Oct 12, 2017 2:36 PM, "Cory Vickruck" <crvickru at lakeheadu.ca> wrote:
> >
> >> Could PSK-31 be a option? Maybe fsq would be a good option as it can be
> >> interfaced with an Arduino.
> >>
> >> On Oct 12, 2017 2:12 PM, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
> >>
> >> We have had great success with APRS Meteor Scatter on 6 meters, but I
have
> >> not done it since 1996?  Maybe its time for some new blood.  Let me
see if
> >> I can find the results of our first National APRS Meteroscatter test.
> >>
> >> Everyone, meet Ron, VE8RT who needs to communicate probably by APRS
using
> >> Meteorscatter from the great Northwest...  He currently is not on the
> >> APRSSIG and so reply here so we can see the interest, and I will
forward
> >> any useful replies to him.  Bob, WB4aPR

APRS.

Ron VE8RT <ve8rt at yknwt.ca>