[aprssig] APRS Speed Spec? (plan B)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Thu Oct 12 17:39:03 EDT 2017

Hi,

I agree with Jason and Kenneth. This is not really needed, and it's yet
another special case kludge which doesn't work too well.

The velocity of an orbital object is not of much importance to anyone.
It's not even going to change much for the same satellite over time. You
just want to know what is the footprint the satellite sees, and when
you're going to be in range, and maybe, if you want to calculate the
doppler, the speed it's approaching yourself. And to get those you'll need
to have the keps and do the math locally.

For jets flying fast, just calculate the speed it took to go from
position A to position B - they also don't change speed very fast.