[aprssig] Cross-Band digipeater paths

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 21:46:31 EDT 2017

> What should the paths of these packets look like? Should there be an
> indication that they came from a different frequency? Should they be
> formatted as third party packets with the
> }SOURCECALL>TNCID,NETWORKIDENT,YOURGATEWAYCALL third party header? If so
> what should the NETWORKIDENT be? 144.39 maybe?
>
> APRX doesn't really seem to support what I am trying to do at the moment so
> I will probably have to implement something.

Check out DIGI_NED.  http://digined.pe1mew.nl/   It'll do exactly what
you're looking for.   At one time I had a Linux box running three
bands of packet/APRS.  On each digipeat the path was modified to show
the source location so that it was possible to see where the packet
had entered the system as well as being able to directly route back to
that station.

Messaging is another issue.  There's as of yet no 'smart' multi band
solution.  You could either gate all possible packets between channels
or have independent iGates on each band.

DIGI_NED is a digipeater only - so if you want APRS-IS functions
you'll have to somehow add the iGates.

73
Bill, WA7NWP