[aprssig] New Project: WHERE-IS

K4FHK k4fhk at knobbe.us
Mon Mar 13 00:40:29 EDT 2017

On Sun, 2017-03-12 at 21:21 -0700, Kenneth Finnegan wrote:
> Some more thoughts...
>
> If you're planning on using WHERE, why also support WHERE-IS and
> WHERE-15?

Because someone may forget, or is so used to WHO-IS, and use WHERE-IS
instead? :)

Forget I mentioned it. Use WHERE. And only WHERE. There is no WHERE-15
or -IS. They must have been a figment of my imagination. Nothing to see
here. Move along. (Although it will work if you were to accidentally...
never mind. :)

> One thing that is often overlooked for -IS attached services which
> spawn
> multiple packets is that this won't work well for many RF users, for
> two
> reasons:

Agreed, and it is exactly why my TNMVA project uses a distinct packet
schedule.... to avoid flooding RF.

> I suspect you'd see a better RF experience if you metered out packets
> at
> something like 3-5 second intervals from the source to allow the
> network to
> move each packet and the receiver to process each one sequentially.

No problem. Done! A 5 second delay has been added between all outgoing
messages. (This wasn't an issue before the wildcard support was added,
but with multiple replies being possible now, this makes good sense to
do.)

Thanks!
Frank