[aprssig] Future

Jess Haas km6gvw at jesshaas.com
Sat Jun 17 20:39:52 EDT 2017

As we move to more software based decoding and more advanced TNCs would it
be feasible to support multiple baud rates on one frequency? I know things
like direwolf already do some things with mltiple decoders, although im not
really sure it works in this way yet.

The robust nature of 1200baud is great for some things but not always
ideal. For instance if a digipeater in my area supported 9600 or even
something faster and i knew i was in range i could beacon at a faster speed
reducing the chance of collision and using up less time. For backwards
compatibility the digipeater could digipeat at 1200baud.

Or if I was just trying to get to an igate i could use a direct path at a
faster speed. This could allow for longer length messages without using up
more time.

In areas with higher speed support I could see something like proportional
pathing but with different baud rates being used.

300 baud could even be used to increase range.

Thoughts?

-Jess
 K5LLI (was briefly KM6GVW until I got my old call back)