[aprssig] POSITs via Internet?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 21:39:58 EDT 2017

On 5/29/2017 7:38 PM, Ralph Milnes wrote:
> Is there a simple way to send APRS position reports by phone?
>
> Normally I post by RF, but there are times when I don't have my radio with me
> and I want to keep family and friends updated on my position. I realize APRS
> was designed for RF use, but I'm hoping to interest people in ham radio.. For
> example, I'm headed from the US to Scotland shortly. I won't have my radio or
> a computer there, but I still want to POSIT occasionally. Is there a phone
> app (iPhone) or website that would let me do this?
>
> Ralph NM5RM

Despite it's name, "Pocket Packet" in the Apple App Store is a full-blown APRS
client (not a generic send/receive packet terminal) that does beaconing,
messaging and mapping (if you have Internet access to Google Maps).   It can
use the "i-Device" internal GPS or an external one via Bluetooth.    It uses
Internet connections via either WiFI or Cellular Data.   It even has a sound
system 1200 baud soft TNC that can connect to a radio via the 3.5mm combined
mic and speaker jack.

I have successfully used Pocket Packet on several iPads and an iPod Touch.  I
have connected it to a Wouxun KG-UV8D hand held, and to a Yaesu FT-857 via it's
6-pin mini-DIN data port.  Note that since the I/O from the i-Gadget is
strictly TX and RX audio (i.e. no PTT line), the attached radio (or sound card
interface) must have a VOX function.  (Nearly all the Chinese handhelds do.)

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF