[aprssig] Weather Alert APRS Message

Dan Srebnick k2dls at k2dls.net
Sun Jul 30 12:22:05 EDT 2017

I seem to have figured part of Q2, at least as far as Xastir is
concerned.

While comments in the Xastir alert.c code indicate that the underscores
in the "title" field (where the UGC zone codes are inserted) are
required by Xastir, what really happens is that Xastir wants to see the
UGC zone code without the underscore but then inserts it on display.

So if there is not a written APRS standard, it seems that the practice
(as witnessed by looking at data sent by WE7U-WX) is that the zones are
used in an APRS wx alert message and that they do not contain the
underscore.

If someone much more knowledgeable can confirm, that would help.

Also with regard to county/zone data, http://www.aprs.org/APRS-docs/WX.
TXT mentions that a trailing comma is required.  I don't see this in
the WE7U-WX data feed and Xastir does not seem to care either.

For my Q1, Xastir doesn't seem to care if a multi word "alert_tag"
contains  underscores or not, despite comments to the contrary in
alert.c.  Underscores are the practice seen in the WE7U-WX data but it
also displays my feed fine without the underscores.