[aprssig] NiCd Lessons relearned

KF4LVZ aprssigZbr6 at acarver.net
Fri Jul 14 18:33:13 EDT 2017

Not a surprise.  NiCds are supposed to be charged using a constant
current charger not a float voltage.  A smart charger will sense the
terminal voltage and alter the current profile at end-of-charge. Even in
a dumb charger that you have to remember to turn off (or just spend $10
and buy a wall timer if you're forgetful) they are supposed to be
constant current chargers.

If you charge at C/10  you don't need an end-of-charge test but the
charger must still be constant current and you still need to shut it off
after 16 hours or so.

You should also avoid charging your packs in series if you can.  Charge
the individual D-cells then put the pack back together.  You'll get
longer life from your pack because the cells will not charge equally
when strung in series.