[aprssig] NiCd Lessons relearned

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Jul 14 18:33:33 EDT 2017

Lithium ion is hard to beat for rechargeable tools.  We've switched to
Milwaukee M12 tools in the shop and they've been great.  I think NiCd
can manage higher currents easier, but the self-discharge rate is
ridiculous.

I use non-rechargeable lithium metal batteries for anything I'm going to
keep packed away for an emergency.  They'll last 20 years on the shelf
and won't leak, and they last 3x as long as alkalines. I don't use
anything else in flashlights anymore.

Scott
N1VG