[aprssig] GPS receivers and WX stns

Miroslav Skoric skoric at uns.ac.rs
Sun Jan 1 18:43:27 EST 2017

On 12/31/2016 03:48 PM, John Langner WB2OSZ wrote:

> This USB GPS receiver is cheap and very sensitive.  It will pick up signals
> indoors where other GPS receivers won't.
>
> VK-172
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWEEWW8
>
> It works great with Windows and Linux including a Raspberry Pi.  It shows up
> looking like an ordinary serial port but the speed (baud) setting is
> ignored.
>
> Here is one example of how I used it, not just for getting location, but
> also to set the real-time system clock.
> https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/master/doc/Raspberry-Pi-APRS-Tracker.
> pdf

Thanks John. Looks interesting. Btw, I saw on the web "Made in China"
(or some similar site) some receivers having extension cables (or that
were just remote GPS antennas with an extension cable to the separate
receiver?). Do not have any idea about their quality. In addition, the
Chinese sell various vehicle, pet, and kids trackers having cell phone
capability among the others. Some of those devices have coaxial
connectors for GPS and GSM antennas. Anybody experienced with such
stuff? Might be usable for tracking stolen ham vehicles after returning
home from a presentation trip :-)

Misko