[aprssig] IGate FIlter for AMSATS?

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Sat Feb 25 13:31:50 EST 2017

Number 2 in that post is exactly the same as #1 from the standpoint that Joe Ham wants to see his packets end up on APRS-IS and is -not- looking for messaging (hence the SatGate has always been receive-only to minimize the possibility of multiple SatGates trying to gate from APRS-IS through the satellite).  In both #1 and #2, the ham is wanting to have their packets show up on APRS-IS if they are seen by a SatGate.  In #2, when the ham -changes frequency-, they will be seen by the IGate nearest them when they get in direct RF range and want to use the terrestrial system.

So it appears that you are in agreement that if an IGate is put into "SatGate mode", it should be receive-only and -not- pass only packets heard directly (not digi'ed) that contain a path.  All other received packets that would normally be passed upstream to APRS-IS should be passed.  I think this gets as close as possible to Bob's request within the constraints of maintaining proper operation on the entire APRS-IS network.  Note that "SatGate mode" should be off by default and sysops should be aware that it is a special purpose mode solely for use with satellite reception.

Correct?  Also, keep in mind that the reason the US migrated to 144.39 was because of an agreement with AMSAT that we could use "their" frequency if that would move us away from 145.8 where satellites 15-20 years ago might be listening (yes, I remember the gnashing of teeth when that change was implemented).  So terrestrial use of 145.825 is strongly discouraged both by various ham organizations and the IARU so we shouldn't be thinking along the lines of accomodating terrestrial use of 145.825.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net