[aprssig] Txt messaging

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 00:54:01 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 6:28 PM,  <chiefsfan2 at cox.net> wrote:
> So I was thinking that if it was possible to interface a smart phone via
> Bluetooth to a radio and a ham txt app was written for such messaging on
> aprs would be as easy as texting over the cellular network which a lot of do
> everyday already. Just a quick search of the internet came up with small
> tnc's such as the tinytrak 4and it looked like it had a Bluetooth adapter
> available?

I'd had similar thoughts. It's all about the user interface. There are
plenty of APRS apps that support messaging, but a simple chat style UI
for back and forth messaging, like we get from SMS apps, is rare and I
haven't seen a perfect one yet. Alas, I haven't taken the time to
write it myself.

There are a number of TNCs that can interface via Bluetooth to
smartphones. Mobilinkd, AP510, and TH-D74 all come to mind.

Also, check out Bob's APRS messaging evangelism page:
http://www.aprs.org/aprs-messaging.html

Tom KD7LXL