[aprssig] Eclipse Path (148 Balloons!) (50?)

Larry Howell larry.howell.47 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 10:37:50 EDT 2017

Hi Bob,

I can't answer your broader question, but can tell you about my experience
as a volunteer engineer with Knox County (OH) Space Balloon Team #37.
The NASA supplied balloon payloads did not use APRS trackers, or any form
of ham radio at all.  They used an Iridium modem to relay GPS position
data, which was relayed through ground-based servers for the team's NASA
supplied tracking/antenna orientation system.  The NASA payload transmitted
still images on the 900 MHz ISM band, and realtime video on the 5.8 GHz ISM
band.
The Knox Co team designed and assembled their own payloads for their
balloon, which did use APRS tracking.  These payloads were launched on
seven balloons between 06/2014 and 04/2017.  The tracker was from High
Altitude Science.  The tracker call was KD8NZZ.  Their balloon payloads
collected sensor data and video images using 3 RaspberryPi SBCs with
multiple cameras and writes to uSDcards on the SBCs.  Their balloon was
launched about 15 seconds before the NASA balloon from Pennyrile, KY at
1215 CDT on 08/21.  Both balloons were passing through 95k ft at totality.
Both balloons were successfully recovered.

Here is a link to the extended story Andrew Michael and Channel 6 produced
about our launch: https://www.facebook.com/AndrewBuckMichaelABC6FOX28/
videos/2046700258689100/?fref=mentions

Larry  AC8YE