[aprssig] Cleaning up the Global APRS Satellite ground station network?- New Symbol [SGATE mode for APRX?]

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 16:26:54 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 2:57 AM, <la3qma at aprs.la> wrote:

> was talking about APRX. I really do not understand why it's not possible
> to add a satellite option in the public release.

There's two problems:
1. Adding support for a new operation mode, adding tests to validate it,
adding documentation for it to the user manual, and forever continuing to
support the feature and ensuring that no future patch breaks this
functionality is a lot of work.
2. I'm totally unconvinced that this feature is worth any effort just to
make sure that people trying to work satellites can use the APRS-IS as an
RF analysis tool. If you want proof that you've bounced a packet off a
satellite, either complete a contact with another human and trade QSO
cards, or take a photo of your radio showing your packet echo off the
satellite and post it to Twitter.

> There are so many misconfigured digipeaters and probably also aprx and
> other igate software. Adding a satgate function is not going to break
> anything if some user activates this even if he should't.

I'd like to have someone set up an I-gate on 144.390 in sat-gate mode with
a 30 second delay and see if anyone complains.

> Just make it hard to activate this function ;-)

So I should be putting all this effort into implementing this feature, and
then making the user experience for it suck because it's a mis-feature?

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
Aprx developer