[aprssig] Cleaning up the Global APRS Satellite ground station network?- New Symbol

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Aug 8 01:21:37 EDT 2017

> >> If we bgine using #J overlays for APRS-IS satelite ground stations,
> what conflicts will arise?
>

> > I can only repeat things I have said before about other proposals to
> identify function based on symbols.
>
> > 1. Each station only gets one symbol. If a station has more than one
> function it has no choice but to not send one of the symbols, and it takes
> away the personalization option that has always been attractive to hams
> participating in APRS.
>
> I'd say each Radio only gets one symbol, and these permanent gound station
radios listening on 145.825 as satellite grouind stations are only doing a
single function. And they are not on 144.39 where their other station
symbols might be.

> > 2. You will never get great compliance with anything that is
> user-configurable, especially if it involves station identity. Even if #1
> were not a problem there will always be people that will not do it
> correctly.

But no reason not to have a standard for those that want to make it an
identifiable network.

> > 3. Even if 1 and 2 aren't a problem, you only get those who intend to be
> satellite gates, not those who actually meet equipment, performance, and
> configuration requirements.

Thats exaclty what we want.  We want them to self identify and there are
multiple overlays so each Satgate station can identiy their category and so
one-size does not have to fit all.

> It is easy to identify those people who function as satellite gateways
> using the path of packets. Creating a database from the actual data will
> catch those who actually function as satgates without needing any extra
> compliance from the operators.

Yes, but two problems.  First you need a symbol to be able to do an easy
sort-by-symbol map which is usually the first-order view of APRS
information. You cannot sort a map based on the QAR construct. And second
not all of the 330 stations that actually IGated are the permanet core
satgatges we are interested in.  See below.

> > If you want more info on the station config then you ought to either use
> something in the comment or better, a user-defined packet, or user a
> registration system.
>
> Yes, part of the proposal to clean up the ground station network was to
choose a symbol family and also to standardaize what info we need in the
Status text.  First of course is to include fequency if it is anything
other than 145.825

> >Finally, I've never counted the number of active satgates but I'd be
> surprised if it passed 50 on any given day, not the hundreds you claim in
> the AMSAT message. We certainly have hundreds on 144.39, but not on
> 145.825. And with the temporary demise of the ISS packet system, I'm sure
> the number has dwindled quickly as it has during other prolonged outages
> and it will take a while to rebuild when something comes back on 145.825.
> Better not to over-promise on behalf of APRS.

I agree, I don't believe the 330 ground stations either.  But that is what
the QAR constcutct reported over the 18 month analysis.  Which is exactly
why I want those stations that are dedicated parts of this network to
self-identify as same and so that the core constituancy of permanent
satgages is what shows through and not just every station that QSY'ed to
the 145.825 for a few contacts and then happendd to igate some packet while
there.

I want to identify those permanent assets, and give them the means to
consistently identify their capabilities so we can quantify the network.
and so that every user that happens to make a satellite contact while his
rig happened to be on the internet then permanently shows up as a permanent
satgate

Bob, WB4APR