[aprssig] APRS = the IoT of Amateur Radio [was: APRS to the planet rescue?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 11:29:32 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Peter Laws N5UWY <n5uwy at arrl.net> wrote:
> I would think consumers of this data would want to know what height
> the water is now and how fast it's rising in order to make some
> estimate of when the water will reach flood stage.  How does the float
> switch help with that?
>
> I'm missing something, I'm sure.

"water is at the road level" (or 1 ft below the road or whatever) is
binary data, but still potentially useful.

if a float switch is cheap enough, a series of float switches can be
tied to the same sensor/TX unit.  e.g. one for "flood stage", one for
"a foot below the road deck" and another for "at road level".

> almost as much as I hate "the cloud"

worse than "cloud":  "cyber".

-Jason
kg4wsv