[aprssig] APRS = the IoT of Amateur Radio [was: APRS to the planet rescue?

Peter Laws N5UWY n5uwy at arrl.net
Wed Apr 12 10:53:19 EDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:42 AM, Ev Tupis <w2ev at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree that a simple float switch would do.  Simple is the key.

So now you know that water has reached a certain point, presumably flood stage.

I would think consumers of this data would want to know what height
the water is now and how fast it's rising in order to make some
estimate of when the water will reach flood stage.  How does the float
switch help with that?

I'm missing something, I'm sure.

Seems to me that if you want to be able to use APRS to collect data
from all manner of remote sensors, then there should be a standardized
interface, both in hardware and software, that makes this *easy*.  Let
others worry about the details of the sensors themselves and work to
make certain that those sensors easily connect to an APRS beacon.

PS - I hate the term Internet of Things (because there were coffee
makers and Coke machines and toy cranes connected to the internet 25
years ago) almost as much as I hate "the cloud" (curse all of you who
drew the network infrastructure past your edge as a cloud 25 years ago
... wait, I was/am one of them).