[aprssig] APRS Satellite w/ Rubber Duck?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Apr 10 16:32:20 EDT 2017

On 4/10/2017 3:49 PM, sergio_101 wrote:
> I have been lurking here and there for awhile, and i'm not sure i have seen
> this go by..
>
> I am just starting to play with satellites, and I can receive packets from
> ISS just fine, i just can't hit it.
>
> Are there any other satellites carrying APRS that i might have more luck with?
>
> Every time I start googling around, it seems the information is extremely dated.
>
> thanks!

Very very unlikely!    The ISS is by far the strongest and most easily received
"satellite".

The rubber duck is an absolutely HORRIBLE antenna  - the thing actually has
NEGATIVE gain relative to even a simple dipole or quarter-wave whip.   It's
more like a badly-shielded dummy load than an antenna.   You are reducing the
already marginal transmit power output of the hand-held by at least 60%-70%
compared to even a simple 19" quarter-wave whip

At the least, you want a full-size 19" whip, or far better, a light-weight
hand-holdable 3 element Yagi like an Arrow antenna.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
    <http://wa8lmf.net/map>

Long-Range APRS on 30 Meters HF