[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 154, Issue 5

Dave B g8kbv at uku.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 13:09:29 EDT 2017

On 05/04/17 18:00, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:

> ARGH!  Got a rental car and was miles out of the airport when I
> finally got the APRS plugged in.
>

> And of course, the 12v DC cigarette outlet was dead!  Too late to
> drive back and insit on a new car.
>
> Lesson relearned for travelers:
>

> 1)      Carry some spare mini fuses of the 10A variety  (Both kinds)
>
> 2)      Or carry a 6’ clip lead cord to the battery
>
> 3)      DON’T LEAVE THE RENTAL PLACE without testing the outlet first!
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Good advice of course...   But be careful with the clip leads, many
modern cars have *very* close shut lines!

That happened to me one time in the US, from Philadelphia airport
travelling inland to Kulpsville.
A local at the hotel said to take the car to a local dealer of that
marque, that I did without question, I believe they either billed the
rental co', or it was done under warranty being a newish car (some GM
model.)

I never heard anything or saw any "odd" behaviour on my credit card
after the trip...

73.

Dave G0WBX.