[aprssig] X-APRS: a new protocol in APRSdroid

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Apr 1 08:11:18 EDT 2017

I glanced through the specification and have a few questions:

1) How are filters handled?  I tapped into the sample feed and that's
WAY more data than I'd like to have streaming to my mobile phone.

2) How can a client know if a legacy aprs1 packet has been Base-64
encoded or if it just happens to contain only Base-64 characters? I
didn't see anything in the specification (end of page) to indicate the
encoding?

3) Is there a separate discussion group for this proposal?  Or are we
supposed to spam the APRS groups with our comments ending up with
different discussion threads in multiple groups?

And one comment:  VERBOSE!  In the case of paid mobile data plans and
1200 baud RF channels, more (or even standards-based) is not always better.

PS.  Not all of us like adopting 3rd party code over which we have no
control so making statements like "using one of the many available XMPP
libraries" doesn't do much for us.