[aprssig] Perl and TNC X

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 10:29:51 EDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would be interested to hear from people please that have used perl on a raspberry Pi to do kiss frames on the UART
>
> I have TNC X boards built now and I would like to try three projects
>
> + TCP/IP over TNC X
> + ISS ground station xastir
> + perl telemetry TNC X

You need  Ham::APRS::FAP .  If you're familiar with CPAN, it's there.
(If not, google CPAN - it's how you get perl libraries).

I've used Ham::APRS::FAP to generate KISS packets on a beaglebone
black.  I didn't send them to a TNC-X, but I did send them to a D7 and
on a serial link to xastir on another computer (bench testing and
experimentation) using a BBB.  It's KISS, so there should be no
difference with the TNC-X.

The raspberry pi 3 is a pretty decent computer.  I'm currently
experimenting with a 7" touchscreen running xastir and it shows
promise for a permanent mobile xastir rig.  The capacitive touchscreen
works well, though xastir's buttons are really designed for a mouse.
Font settings, etc in xastir need to be adjusted, IMO, to make it
work. The pi 3 has plenty of processing power but it is still IO
limited.  I'm experimenting with TIGER 2015 data, and a few (2 or 3)
counties of edge data displays quite quickly, but several counties
slow it down considerably.  I haven't done much with online raster
maps, as that isn't how I intend to use this box.

For TCP/IP, I would assume ax.25 kernel support is the way to go.  No
idea if that's implemented on the pi, but it's linux so I assume it's
there.

-Jason
kg4wsv