[aprssig] FEMA - APRS data mining...

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 23:36:16 EDT 2016

It doesn't look like anyone has submitted the specific secondary overlay
meanings to either of Hessu's symbol repos. Importing from those is meant
to be very easy for application builders, so the best way to promote the
secondary overlays would be for someone to submit a pull request on GitHub
to Hessu with the meanings and new artwork added.
https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbol-index
https://github.com/hessu/aprs-symbols
(Even just updating the index would be a great way for new people to get
their feet wet using Git and GitHub, which is where we're doing a lot of
the APRS development and discussion these days)

I was a bit surprised looking at the overlay documentation (
http://aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt) to not see anything there for what
the different digipeater overlays mean. I know there is very specific
meaning for symbols like 1#, W#, S#, but I've always been a bit hazy on
what the latest definition of those are.

To be clear, when you say "eight color attributes" you mean APRSdos
rendered stations in eight different colors for user convenience? I was
very confused where a three bit color property got encoded in packets until
I figured out you were probably talking about this:

WHITE: . . . . . . . A Full-up APRS station that is message capable
GRAY: . . . . . . . . A Tracker or other station without message capability
CYAN: . . . . . . . . A moving station with CSE/SPEED or a Dead Reckoned
Station
BLUE(dark) . . . . The previous position of a MOVED station or object
YELLOW: . . . . . Your own active OBJECTS you are transmitting to the net
VIOLET: . . . . . . Objects placed on the map by others
Dark GRAY: . . . Old Symbols not updated in the last 80 minutes or more
BLACK: . . . . . . Old Symbols that have been "killed" by the originator
RED: . . . . . . . . . Emergency, Alarmed, or otherwise unknown symbols

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/