[aprssig] APRS SPEC: Wind Speed confusion

Greg Trasuk trasukg at trasuk.com
Fri Oct 14 12:11:42 EDT 2016

I meant “if it’s going to change, then standardize on KTS”.  I’m not sure if internal consistency is a good enough reason to break backwards compatibility in the on-air formats.

So, if I were writing a new APRS presentation layer, I’d probably want to give users the option to view the data in KTS, MPH, or “as per spec”.  But there’s no real reason for the transmission format to change.  If one of the message formats is in mph, and another one is in KTS, the program can cover that over so the user gets a consistent representation.

Which is another interesting question - do people really consider the data formats to be “human-readable” at this time?  I know that at some point, we were probably looking at the reports on a serial terminal or on the D700 screen, but I’d guess that today, most people are seeing the data through a graphical client like Xastir, APRSIS32 or YAAC if they’re looking at over-the-air data.  Or one of the Internet clients, if they’re seeing web data.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk