[aprssig] Jim's Improper APRS Software

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 23:15:32 EST 2016

Vague, because I don't know what software Scott is using. Negative, because
he might want to look into this.

That most recent reply you noticed, is actually an old post, that I only
became aware of after reading comments in the source code for Dire Wolf.

There is a much more extensive description, and my test-bench setup in

and that 'filter' that you mis-quoted is a client side thing that allows
messages from the APRS-IS to be transmitted, while blocking anything *else*
from the server that has TCPIP in the path. Which is ALL of the packets
sent to try to decide if we heard an IGate. More from some servers, than
others.

The mash-up in the packets is because Dire Wolf choked on the lower case
letter in the q construct, on the way to RF. Yes, I know, it isn't supposed
to try that.

There is no doubt in my mind it is broken. Because I RTFM. And tested it.
And asked questions here (remember my seeming confusion)? And found a way
to search through all this. And read the source code. All to troubleshoot
what I observed as bad behavior, before going on air.

The needed temporary fix, as I see it, with no blessing (just yet) from the
author, is "FILTER IG 0 t/m | ( ! d/TCPIP/TCPXX )". This is specific only
to Dire Wolf, and has nothing to do with a server-side subscription.

I know it does work, and settles PTT down nicely, because I tested it.

I was trying to be discrete, throughout this tortuous month.

Peace, and goodnight.

Jim Alles
BAS Controls Technician
Penn State University