[aprssig] Jim's Improper APRS Software

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:06:41 EST 2016

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> On 11/30/2016 6:06 PM, Jim Alles wrote:
>
>>  However, there is at this time an APRS software package that appears to
> be not working properly. And provides the use of other, blocking-type
> filters (client-side).
>
> Maybe I missed something, but to what is this referring?

My guess would be Jim is talking about Direwolf where someone posted saying
that it seems like Direwolf is merging packets together, which didn't make
much sense since they all looked like third-party packets with a liberal
RF-gate filter configured to me.

Jim came back with an RF-gate filter of "t/m | ( ! d/TCPIP/TCPXX )" to work
around the issue until it was sorted out, which as best as I can tell
RF-gates all message packets seen or not directly connected stations, which
doesn't seem to change anything except trade one set of surplus gated
packets for another. The thread lacked any clear identification of what the
issue was or any exploration of root cause or a reproduction of the fault.

In any case, not really escalated yet to "make vague negative comments
about it on the SIG".

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/