[aprssig] central repository

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Tue Nov 22 13:30:10 EST 2016

I have been hosting stuff on the Internet since at least the early 90s.

Self hosting is a bad option (even though I run a couple of sites as a
service http://hf.dstar-relay.net and http://qso.freedv.org) for anything
that is designed to be a long term resource to a community.  There are
plenty of free or nearly free options out there and they provide a ready
set of tools.  I quit hosting my own email, calendar, etc. servers, because
Gmail (both at home and professionally) -- I have my email domains hosted
-- they have great spam filters and a variety of clients.

If you are hosting a source code project or specification site with ongoing
revisions, GitHub is the place to be right now.

Self hosted email lists become a real hassle when there are better
solutions out there, that also can provide community support functions like
databases, wikis, messaging, chat, etc. -- many are free or very
inexpensive.  I happen to like http://groups.io -- it has a clean design by
people who worked on previous platforms.  One cool feature is that once you
create an account, you can attach your multiple email addresses to the
account and send messages from any of the accounts.  Also, admin is a
breeze and you can have special interest sub-groups within a major group.
E.g. an aprs group could have a 9600 baud interest subgroup.

These services take care of uptime, maintenance, and backup.

Contributors can spend their time creating and editing content, instead of
on creating services and admin/maintenance.

--

John D. Hays

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   <http://k7ve.org/blog>  <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>