[aprssig] central repository

John D. Hays john at hays.org
Sun Nov 20 21:30:38 EST 2016

I missed the beginning of this thread, but if you are looking for a good
place to run the mailing list and have a Wiki plus file store, calendar,
database, etc. (and can integrate with GitHub for source code projects) --
I have been doing quite a bit on Groups.io

I created a group if people want to try it out.
https://amateur-radio.groups.io/g/aprssig  -- subscribe, the first few
messages from an individual are moderated.  I have currently set the Wiki
to subscribers can edit and that it is publicly visible.

If the list wants to do more with the group I created, I will extend
moderator status to a core team. Or an entirely new group could be created
that is not a child of amateur-radio

Here is an active wiki on one of the groups
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki

The Wiki has a gui editor or you can use markup -- it is not as rich as
some, but pretty sufficient.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Ted Timmons <ted at perljam.net> wrote:

> What I love about Github is we don't have to create one more account, and
> CommonMark is a much more modern version of the bottom-up design that
> MediaWiki does. I have tens of thousands of edits on Wikipedia, but I tend
> to write in the CommonMark style- things like links are much more sane. And
> I'd think that people who are doing hacking with APRS would be at least
> mildly comfortable with either.
>
> Anyhow, the wiki part is different than needing to understand git. That's
> my opinion.
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/editing-wiki-pages-
> via-the-online-interface/
>
> -ted
>
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 4:44 PM K5ROE Mike <K5ROE at roetto.org> wrote:
>
>> The standard wiki software is MediaWiki , open source, developed by the
>> wikipedia project.
>>
>> GitHub looks interesting, although it seems to be less feature rich than
>> MediaWiki. Also, it may advantageous to have an interface more familiar to
>> hams (e.g, wikipedia).   Pro and cons for both approaches.
>>
>> I stood up a quick prototype with MediaWiki. See http://wiki.roetto.org/
>>
>> Anyone can edit it; the idea being the less restrictive the more likely
>> folks are to contribute.
>>
>> Please take a look and see if this might work.
>>
>> 73 Mike
>>
>> PS Bob, I stole your logo for testing purposes, please let me know if you
>> object.
>>

>> On 11/20/2016 6:04 PM, Jim Alles wrote:
>>
>> OK.
>>
>> The only thing I have seen in use is Lynn's http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/
>>
>> do you have anything in mind?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_software
>>
>> Zim <http://zim-wiki.org/> looks handy, for linux?
>>
>> maybe we can do call sign checking, or if we are lucky, use the passcode
>> for authentication?
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:02 PM, K5ROE Mike <K5ROE at roetto.org> wrote:
>>
>> Jim et al,
>>
>> I'd be willing to host and maintain a wiki for APRS.  At a minimum it
>> would be an excellent vehicle for getting a coherent specification document
>> together.  It's probably the most approachable format available for
>> computer-challenged hams.
>>
>> 73 K5ROE Mike

John D. Hays
K7VE