[aprssig] IGATE message routing bug?

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 00:11:54 EST 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> Not being in the heard table doesn't do anything as far as I can tell,
> except prevent your UDP-injecting IGate from receiving messages that it
> wouldn't likely have done anything with anyway?

The UDP/HTTP submit services specifically provide a method to inject
packets without a persistent connection, so there's no heard table to add
callsigns to. If the APRS-IS server wanted to later send packets back to
the I-gate, there's no way for the -IS server to even reach the I-gate.

I'm not aware of any recommended or even theorized possible differences in
system behavior if the network knew that an I-gate was Rx-only.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 7:09 PM, Jim Alles <kb3tbx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please, follow the logic of this argument to the end.
> [...]
> It isn't that they are receive only. The real problem is, we RX-only IGate
> operators-who-gave-up-on-messaging-because-it-was-broken are sending our
> received traffic to the *wrong port* on the APRS-IS servers. We have had
> little choice, because no client software available (AFAIK) has the
> functionality coded to send to the APRS-IS server UDP port 8080 when
> appropriate (1).
>
> The IGate client software(s) would be much improved with the ability to
> route either to either a restricted feed port (TCP 14580), with messaging
> support, or the unidirectional port; dynamically as determined by local
> operating conditions. No packet left behind (tm ;-).

What is the perceived problem which is then fix by using the send-only
port? Either way, all the packets are injected into the APRS-IS fire-hose,
and either way the Rx-gate is still an Rx-gate which can't route packets
back to the local RF network.

> (1) It was actually Mr. Finnegan who just made me aware that such a port
> existed, on another forum. My gratitude to you, Kenneth!

For the record, this was on the Direwolf list only discussing possible ways
to reduced total Internet traffic for an I-gate to reduce costs on tolled
Internet connections such as satellite links.

--
Kenneth Finnegan, W6KWF
Aprx maintainer