[aprssig] IGATE message routing bug?

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 22:09:26 EST 2016

Please, follow the logic of this argument to the end.

"If the only Igate in an area is RX only, that definitely breaks the
system."

I am picking on this statement, not the person who made it, because it has
been echoed so many times.

And it is wrong.
Every variation, it is the wrong battle.

It isn't that they are receive only. The real problem is, we RX-only IGate
operators-who-gave-up-on-messaging-because-it-was-broken are sending our
received traffic to the *wrong port* on the APRS-IS servers. We have had
little choice, because no client software available (AFAIK) has the
functionality coded to send to the APRS-IS server UDP port 8080 when
appropriate (1).

The IGate client software(s) would be much improved with the ability to
route either to either a restricted feed port (TCP 14580), with messaging
support, or the unidirectional port; dynamically as determined by local
operating conditions. No packet left behind (tm ;-).

Think about it. To me, it seems practical, backwards-compatible, doesn't
concern the servers, and I think there are a couple or three developers out
there right now that are in a position to - and might be interested in -
improving things.

(1) It was actually Mr. Finnegan who just made me aware that such a port
existed, on another forum. My gratitude to you, Kenneth!

73,
Jim (you can call me grandpa) Alles