[aprssig] WIDE and specific call in path

jason arends jason.arends at gmail.com
Sat May 14 21:00:37 EDT 2016

On Sat, May 14, 2016 at 7:39 PM Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> On 5/14/2016 4:49 PM, jason arends via aprssig wrote:
> > Today I was trying to route my packets through a specific digi by
> setting my
> > path on my mobile to WIDE1-1,JOPLIN - thinking that it would either be
> picked
> > up by a fill-in and then JOPLIN, or JOPLIN would hear it first and
> repeat it
> > due to responding to the WIDE1-1.
>
> This doesn't work!   Hops are processed SEQUENTIALLY from left to right.
>  Some
> digi has to act on the WIDE1-1 hop FIRST, marking it as used on the
> retransmission.  Then, if the Joplin digi hears the retransmission from the
> first digi, it would respond to JOPLIN, marking IT as used.
>
> If you manage hit JOPLIN directly on the first hop, it is "using up" the
> WIDE1-1 hop. The JOPLIN hop is then "wasted" since no other digi will
> respond
> to that call.

Right, that's why I think it *should* work - if I hit JOPLIN directly, it
should repeat because it *does* respond to WIDE1-1, that's why
WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 works. Then no other station will respond to the "wasted"
JOPLIN in the path, so it should always either get repeated by a fill-in,
then JOPLIN, or just JOPLIN if I manage to hit it directly.

I suspect my real issue is I'm just not able to hit JOPLIN when I think I
should be able to, or the quality of the packets from the setup I'm using
to test is sub-par but the fill-in K0JAA is more forgiving maybe. I'll do
more testing with another radio.

JOPLIN is a Microsat WX3-in-1 2.0 on a FT-2800 and K0JAA is a TNC-PI on a
DR-135, I was testing using a BaoFeng with a Mobilinkd and APRSDroid,
through a magmount as I was driving around.