[aprssig] WIDE and specific call in path

J T w0jrt at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 22:40:10 EDT 2016

Tom & Stephen: Re-read Jason's post carefully.  JOPLIN is a wide digi using the new N-n paradigm meaning it will respond to WIDE1-1 in addition to WIDE2-n and of course it's own ID.  So if it directly hears a packet with the path "WIDE1-1,JOPLIN", it will still repeat it using the first part of the path (the WIDE1-1), and then it won't propagate further.  The way I read it, he explicitly listed JOPLIN as the second hop to limit how far his test packets went during the test.

 On 5/14/2016 4:49 PM,
 jason arends via aprssig wrote:
 > Today I
 was trying to route my packets through a specific digi by
 setting my
 > path on my mobile to
 WIDE1-1,JOPLIN - thinking that it would either be picked
 > up by a fill-in and then JOPLIN, or JOPLIN
 would hear it first and repeat it
 > due
 to responding to the WIDE1-1.

 This doesn't work!   Hops are
 processed SEQUENTIALLY from left to right.   Some

 digi has to act on the WIDE1-1 hop FIRST,
 marking it as used on the
 retransmission.
 Then, if the Joplin digi hears the retransmission from the

 first digi, it would respond to JOPLIN,
 marking IT as used.

 If you
 manage hit JOPLIN directly on the first hop, it is
 "using up" the
 WIDE1-1 hop. The
 JOPLIN hop is then "wasted" since no other digi
 will respond
 to that call.

 I only heard a repeat from the
 fill-in, not
 > when I was close to JOPLIN
 and out of range of the fill-in. Do paths not work
 > the way I  am thinking, or do I have
 JOPLIN misconfigured in some way?

 In the path setup above (WIDE1-1,JOPLIN),
 JOPLIN is only going to respond to
 it's
 own call if (and only if) some other digi within earshot of
 JOPLIN "uses
 up" the WIDE1-1 hop
 first.