[aprssig] The East will Rise again! (at 9600?)

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:05:20 EDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig
<aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
> So, since we have already shown for 6 years now, that this long 2000 mile
> linear chain of mountains and valleys can support a 2000 mile network with
> only 14 digis,  why not establish a long haul 9600 baud Node chain from
> Maine to Georgia which could be a significant boost to Packet radio
> emergency operations. The network would not operate as APRS digipeaters but
> as KAnodes.   As we all knew back in the 1990’s link-by-link acknowledgment
> was vastly superior to end-to-end.

Why not go all the way and build a fast IP network? We're doing IP
over 5 GHz, and while that gets a little hairy at the distances you're
talking about, we have a new permanent 92 mile link that averages
about 10 Mbps. (And we do 200 Mbps over the shorter links.) The
hardware is similar in cost, often cheaper, than a 9600 baud VHF
station.

https://hamwan.org/

Packet died because it was replaced with faster technologies (home
internet). Let's try to push the envelope a little harder with ham
radio.

Tom KD7LXL