[aprssig] Balloons abusing our network

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Sun May 1 14:54:30 EDT 2016

I think we all agree that HABs should not use abusive paths or beacon rates.

However, the reality is that many of these balloon launch teams are populated with inexperienced hams who simply are not aware of how the APRS network works or how their HABs impact the network. Those of who do have considerable experience have a responsibility to educate the balloon teams. Discussion of abusive balloon launches occasionally pops up in online APRS communities. But, we have to keep in mind that we are preaching to the choir. Typically, these balloon teams don’t hang out in APRS groups or reflectors.

Jason is quite correct. While the balloon launch may seriously impact the APRS network for the time the balloon is in the air, that time is short and the network will get back to normal after the balloon is down. Meanwhile, we should take note of the callsign being used by the launch and attempt to reach the holder of the callsign to politely educate them about APRS networks.

BTW, in my experience, Jason does, in fact, have a clue. Berating him really doesn’t accomplish anything.

Bob…