[aprssig] Balloons abusing our network

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sun May 1 10:53:29 EDT 2016

> On May 1, 2016, at 9:34 AM, Ron via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> Today 2 balloons at the same time out of Maine are pounding our network with abusive settings that are unacceptable.

Please explain how this is significantly different from the perspective of the LOCAL network than a terrestrial station with the same settings? (Hint: practically not at all assuming your network is built correctly.)

If a single station with these settings can cause your local network significant problems you should spend some effort on fixing your local network.

> Why would a balloon at 26,000ft moving at 15kmh need to beacon every 40 seconds and use WIDE hops across our network?

To track it and get the payload back?

> At this rate they'll be blasting our network all day long.

A typical HAB flight lasts approximately 2 hours.

Be glad someone is doing something more useful/interesting than letting the wife track you on your way to the grocery store.

-Jason
kg4wsv