[aprssig] Balloons abusing our network

Ron ve1aic at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 10:34:56 EDT 2016

Today 2 balloons at the same time out of Maine are pounding our network with abusive settings that are unacceptable.Are there any HAMs running these projects?Why would a balloon at 26,000ft moving at 15kmh need to beacon every 40 seconds and use WIDE hops across our network?
I can copy them direct at over 300 miles away.
At this rate they'll be blasting our network all day long.

73, RonVE1AIVMARCAN APRS Admin

KB1YOF-11>APRS via WIDE2-1,qAR,W1TG-1 (seriously-bad)
This station appears to be flying at high altitude and using digipeaters, which causes serious congestion in the APRS network. The tracker should be configured to only use digipeaters when at low altitude.
Positions stored:     1465
Packet rate:     41 seconds between packets on average during 2068 seconds.Altitude:     26828 m
Course:     200°
Speed:     15 km/h
This station appears to be flying at high altitude and using digipeaters, which causes serious congestion in the APRS network. The tracker should be configured to only use digipeaters when at low altitude.
Positions stored:     723
Packet rate:     39 seconds between packets on average during 1929 seconds.Altitude:     28988 m
Course:     140°
Speed:     15 km/h
Last path: