[aprssig] [amsat-bb] Free content from six satellites via Outernet (APRS?)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Mar 1 10:45:39 EST 2016

Free content from six satellites via Outernet (APRS?)

We should find someone to work with the OUTERNET folks to add an amateur
radio channel to their downlink.  Their satellites could provide
connectivity to 99% of amateur radio operators on earth.  In addition, Ham
Radio can bring to OUTERNET an uplink capability that they currently don't
have.  And the uplink can be from the same remote areas where there is no
service...

How?  Like this.  They simply take the APRS packet data stream from the
global APRS Internet System (APRS-IS) and stream it in their downlink for
hams.  Then hams anywhere on earth can transmit traffic via HF back into the
system.  Since the APRS-IS is one of the world's largest HF
receiver-diversity receiver networks in the world, then a packet transmitted
from almost anywhere on earth has a reasonable chance of being heard at
least once at least somewhere and interjected back into the network, where
it gets to the OUTERNET and then in the downlink.

The only question, is the atrophy of our HF IGates?  Years ago, the HF
channel on 10,147.2 MHz had receivers all over the world.  I have not
listened much recently, but maybe there is still a viable network there.
And if not, maybe we could re-invigorate it if it meant global APRS
connectivity for ham travelers and hams in remote areas.  An HF packet
transmitter can be as small as a cigar box and solar powered.

Has anyone tuned in the OUTERNET downlink?  I have heard anyone with
OUTERNET's free ORxPi software and a Raspberry Pi can get the OUTERNET
content when plugged into a DVB-S tuner.

Then there is of course the arm-chair-lawyers concern of  rebroadcast of
amateur radio content on a non-ham network?

Bob, WB4APR