[aprssig] Flood Sensors (again)

Brian D Heaton ky9k-lists at ky9k.org
Mon Jun 13 20:24:47 EDT 2016

It seems easy enough to replicate the sensor side using the ultrasonic
sensor or small float switch inside a piece of PVC.

If buying radios new, something like a Friendcom FC-301 and j-pole
encased in PVC would do the trick on the radio side. If going used, any
number of surplus HTs fit the bill. The electronics/TNC package should
probably keep the radio powered down except when it comes up to transmit
status. A dual-profile TNC/tracker setup that beaconed a very few times
a day with no flood and that flipped to a second profile and beaconed
more rapidly when flooding is detected would seem to accomplish the
mission well. Power could come from a small battery charged by the size
of solar panel usually used for automatic gate openers.

Perhaps local ham groups could assemble units from a specified design or
kits and then "adopt" several low water crossings in their area. The two
biggest problems would likely be the government interaction for
permission to install and damage due to vandalism.

73-KY9K/Brian