[aprssig] Multipath limited throughput

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Jun 13 12:16:06 EDT 2016

I've mentioned it before, but I deployed a couple dozen custom trackers
for ambulances at Burning Man a couple of years ago.  They were built on
440 MHz ISM transmitters at 1/2 to 1 watt, with 9600 baud FSK that was
compatible with the TH-D710 we used for the base station.

The TX/RX switching time was short enough that we were able to get 4
timeslots per second, and each position packet was transmitted twice
within a timeslot, for a total of 8 packets per second and a network
cycle time of 6 seconds.  Never seen a D710 that busy before.

Our goal was to have reliable tracking with the 5-mile extent of the
city, but we got solid tracking out to at least 15 miles, where the
highway started to wind into the hills at Empire.  The Black Rock Desert
is a nearly ideal environment, though - not counting the ridiculous
amount of radio activity across multiple bands, and the Flaming Lotus
Girls using three dozen stun guns as spark gap igniters for flame
effects on some giant mechanical snake thing.

Any next-generation APRS system really needs careful attention to
channel access control.  ALOHA just doesn't cut it for high
performance.  Manual GPS timeslot assignment requires too much manual
coordination.  We need smarter nodes.

A radio network simulator would be a very useful thing to have.  I made
something fairly primitive for the purposes of developing a
special-purpose mesh networking protocol a few years ago - it'd let you
drag nodes around the screen, each with a range circle, and nodes would
either be within range of each other or not.  I'd love to have a program
that simulated dozens or hundreds of nodes, some of them moving, with
separate transmit and receive ranges and a simple model for noise and
interference.

With a framework like that in place, you could test node software by
prototyping in something like Python and run lots and lots of
accelerated simulations and generate statistics on network efficiency.

Scott
N1VG