[aprssig] High speed modems?

Derek Love dlove at cmlmicro.com
Mon Jul 18 04:40:42 EDT 2016

DMR should give you 9600 bps in a 12.5 kHz channel, but that is a raw rate and assumes that you've concatenated the two TDMA slots (which I'm not aware of any manufacturer doing, but...).  But the "normal" single slot modes would still give you 4800 bps raw, and the DMR spec allows for raw, 3/4 and 1/2 rate FEC, so for a raw mode you can achieve 3600 bps payload transfer rate. That's already three times faster than 1200 APRS, considerably more when you take the APRS overheads into account. If you can make use of both slots, that would give you 7200 bps.... or are you thinking of considerably more than that?

Derek Love, CML Microcircuits, Systems Group
+44 1749 881130