[aprssig] IGate Registering for ANSRVR (Messaging failures)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jul 15 18:48:14 EDT 2016

> On Jul 15, 2016, at 1:06 PM, Robert Bruninga via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
>
> But I would change your rememberence by one...
>
>> n was to be adjusted to match the number of hops
>> the outgoing message would be sent with.
>
> I think the default IGATE-back-to-RF path should always be 1 hop (or less)
> and no more (without a warning).  Because as soon as anything in APRS goes
> more than one hop, it is no longer "local" but becomes regional.  And it is
> easy to negotiate local IGATe performance locally (usually local clubs), but
> impossible to negotiate IGate coverages regionally with "strangers"... going
> out 2 hops in all directions.
>
> Also, 2 hops is so  unreliable in desne areas, it adds little to
> communications reliability  and gives a false sense of connedctivity..

Well, it does need to match the outgoing path used by the IGate. You no doubt are right one hop is the best choice in many, even most areas, but I remain steadfastly opposed to imposing a centralized will on parameters affecting the local RF network! Two is still a better choice in the Keys. Besides, we were talking about original intent, and then it was definitely two hops!

This thread got me thinking - 20 years ago I was working on javAPRS, the start of the APRS IS, but hadn't shown it to anyone yet, so that means the true APRS IS is 19 years old and two-way messaging 18 years old. Damn, time flies....

Steve K4HG