[aprssig] IGate Registering for ANSRVR (Messaging failures)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 15 13:06:55 EDT 2016

Thanks Steve!
I'm so glad I remember it the same way.

And this also now explains why I have had ABYSIMAL messaging success when I
travel with an old D7 and send a message or two.  Since the D7 does not have
an internal GPS, and since when I am sitting in an airport I have little
info on a manual position, I rarely take the time to estimate one.

But if the local IGate will not send my APRS-IS acks and recepients
why it has appeared that messaging is so broke!

But I would change your rememberence by one...

> n was to be adjusted to match the number of hops
> the outgoing message would be sent with.

I think the default IGATE-back-to-RF path should always be 1 hop (or less)
and no more (without a warning).  Because as soon as anything in APRS goes
more than one hop, it is no longer "local" but becomes regional.  And it is
easy to negotiate local IGATe performance locally (usually local clubs), but
impossible to negotiate IGate coverages regionally with "strangers"... going
out 2 hops in all directions.

Also, 2 hops is so  unreliable in desne areas, it adds little to
communications reliability  and gives a false sense of connedctivity..

IMHO
Bob