[aprssig] Strange use of DFS data extension (APRS spec chapter 7)

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:13:47 EST 2016

Greetings, all.

I was looking at implementing in my client program the signal-strength circles as described for the DFS data extension in the APRS 1.0.1 spec, because we had a jamming transmitter on our local linked repeaters, and I thought Bob's omni-DF scheme might help pin down our offender.

However, while testing the code changes, I discovered a station in Great Britain (MB7UWA) was sending out Items (spec chapter 11) with DFS data extensions followed by repeater descriptions (with incorrect syntax for the tones). Is this correct usage? Or should repeater objects be using the RNG or PHG extensions to describe the repeater coverage areas? Which should occur first if both are used: the repeater frequency/tone/shift data, or the RNG/PHG data to describe the coverage area? _Can_ both be used simultaneously?

Just curious.

Andrew, KA2DDO

P.S. We managed to locate the offender without needing the DFS code this time (stuck mike on somebody's HT). But we have another periodic offender that needs to be tracked down, so I'm not writing off the changes.