[aprssig] Emergency Power for Ham stuff

Kenneth Finnegan kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:16:02 EST 2016

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Kenneth Finnegan via aprssig
> <aprssig at tapr.org> wrote:
> > I've been using the Tracer MPPT charge controllers from EP Solar for the
> > last few years, and I've been really happy with them:
>
> Is this actually MPPT? I've tested a few of the other cheap "MPPT"
> charger controllers and they didn't actually implement MPPT.

Yep. I've watched it periodically do full IV sweeps and come back and pick
an operating point, and I recall its conversion efficiency was in decent
agreement with what they call out in their datasheet.

Most PWM charge controllers stick MPPT in as a keyword, but it's pretty
easy to spot them since PWM controllers don't require a huge heat sink like
an MPPT does.

I don't think I've ever checked it for HF cleanliness, but I'm usually
running UHF repeaters off of it so I've never cared.

--
Kenneth Finnegan
http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/