[aprssig] APRS in-dash display

Greg D ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 17:35:30 EST 2016

Hi Travis,

My in-dash unit has a setting which automatically selects the camera
when in reverse, or manually.  There's also an interlock that one can
turn off, which I believe is for viewing DVDs (not a good idea IMO, but
it's there).  So, it was just a matter of picking the right settings; no
external bypassing was required.  The unit has a lot of features, which
just about make up for its horrible user interface ergonomics.

Besides mounting another display somewhere on the dash (not possible for
me), an alternative to using the in-dash display might be to swap out
the factory rear view mirror for one that adds a backup camera /
monitor.  There are a number of them on the market, some with integrated
GPS / navigation, and one I saw even runs Android (touch screen on your
mirror, really?).  Most seem to have two video inputs, one for the
backup camera, one for DVDs, which could theoretically serve as the Pi's
display.

Again, I am unsure why/if these are allowed, but they are widely
available (Amazon, etc.).  I actually have one in the car, as getting to
the back of the in-dash unit was initially thought to be a significantly
bigger deal (like, take the dash apart) than it ended up being.  What I
found was that the in-mirror display is hard to use in practice, due to
two issues:  glare from the front window behind it, and the need to
substantially change your eye's focus to look at the mirror instead of
through it out the back of the car. The glare was supposed to be
overcome by the mirror's self-adjusting brightness, but in practice I
don't find that effective enough.  The focus thing might be just a
matter of getting used to it, though anyone with bi-focal glasses will
have a bit of a challenge.  But it is kind of interesting, as if you
keep your long distance focus, the mirror part still works.  One
signficant issue would be the legal implication of having the display so
visible, especially at night. Mine comes on when I start, and I
sometimes look at it while backing up (just to try it - the camera is
taped to the rear window), but then turn it off and leave it that way.
In hind sight, I probably wasted my money.

Greg  KO6TH

* - The newly introduced Chevy Bolt claims their rear mirror can be
turned into a rear camera, and others are trying to use cameras for the
side mirrors.  If these solutions start becoming common, the legal and
ergonomic issues might get clarified.