[aprssig] APRS in-dash display

KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton kb5ily at arrl.net
Sun Jan 17 15:21:10 EST 2016

Greg,  Does the gear-shift have to be in Reverse to view that input ?  If
so, how are you bypassing it ?

On Sat, 16 Jan 2016, Greg D via aprssig wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Picking up on a thread I started a while back...  Not sure if this will
> lead to something permanent or not, but I tought I'd give it a try.
>
> I got access to the back of my car's in-dash unit, and the video input
> connector.  It's meant for use with a back camera, which I currently
> don't have (though it's on the wish list...).  Found a VGA to RCA
> adapter box, and fired up APRSIS32 which was loaded on a small laptop.
> Here's the result:
>
> http://home.wavecable.com/~ko6th/aprs_dash_display.jpg
> http://home.wavecable.com/~ko6th/aprs_laptop.jpg
>
> Given the difficulty, if not questionable legality, of controlling a
> GUI-based laptop while driving, I think the next steps need to include:
>
> 1.  Replace the laptop and VGA adapter with a Raspberry Pi.  VGA output
> is built-in, also much better power draw and small size. (The car is a
> sports car, so no room for anything bigger.)
>
> 2.  Replace APRSIS32 with YAAC (for Raspberry Pi compatiblity).
>
> 3.  Probably still need a keyboard for full control while parked, but
> add some fixed key switches tied to keyboard shortcuts for the common
> stuff while driving.  During the earlier exchange, Andrew figured it was
> a "simple" matter of a Java library to bridge the swtiches to keyboard
> shortcuts...  Hope he's right.
>
> 4.  The Pi will boot itself when the car turns on, but I need a way to
> automatically safely power down the Pi when I turn the car off. Any
> ideas on this?
>
> Anything else I'm missing?
>
> Greg  KO6TH

73 de Travis KB5ILY / PG00041468
870-260-6068 (Phone)
--
     Travis W. Burton, NP, ESQ., KB5ILY (QCWA) & GROL / Arkadelphia AR
                 President, DeGray Amateur Radio club, Inc.
                       Internet: mailto:kb5ily at arrl.net
          http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/9877/web/?rl=rr
                          WWW:  http://www.kb5ily.org
                    GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA
Only he who Attempts the Ridiculous can Achieve the Impossible. (WILL HENRY)
                    Linux is my operating system of choice.

                    Computers are like Air Conditioners,
              they stop working correctly when you open windows.