[aprssig] Zip-LAN (and history)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 8 16:36:34 EST 2016

Sounds like you are reading this.  For what it is worth, here is the ZIP-LAN
description from way back then:

http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/ZIP-LAN.TXT

It worked for me.  What a coincidence!

Just LAST week, I finally disassembled and unstrung a RACK full of 3 HF
radios, and three KAM TNC's and dozens of switches and dozens of terminal
strips and a huge rats nest of wires dating back to the invention of APRS in
the 1992 time frame.

Every RX and TX audio line, Every PTT, from every radio could be switched to
the same Audio and PTT I/O of every TNC and then the serial data ports of
every TNC could individually be switched to every serial digitial input or
output signal in the shack.  I had put it off for  years...  And was afraid
to touch it for fear of losing some kind of connectivity that went through
that cabinet and I had forgotten was still involved.

BUT, I realized, it would be far easier to START OVER FROM SCRATCH rather
than try to trace everything I did over 15 years of evolution.

THE HF rig has never been off in those 15  years (Kenwood TS570) nor the
KAMS, though the HF rig has been permanently on the 14.070 PSK31 freq for
the last 8 years or so... since we feed that audio to all the PC's for when
we do the PSK lab.

Bob, WB4APR