[aprssig] is there a complete APRS primer out there?

Burton Sampley bsmply at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:54:27 EST 2016

Greetings Everyone,

I have been lurking on this group for a while.  I agree with Andrew, there
is a wealth of information on http://www.aprs.org, but the way it is
currently organized is very difficult for a "newbie" to find a good,
concise "recipe" for their first APRS setup and configuration.  When I
first started getting interested in APRS, I dug through the site and was
quickly lost in the sea of information.  I eventually figured it out and
got on the air using a borrowed KPC3+ and some homebrewed cables.  I'm
still not 100% sure I have my KPC3+ configured correctly, but I have
confirmed through http://aprs.fi and running XASTIR with an internet only
connection that I am getting something reasonable transmitted over RF.

>From a "newbie" perspective, I would like to see a configuration guide,
showing the common TNC's as well as recommendations on proper timings and
settings.  I would also like to see some real-world examples of both
hardware and software configurations for those of us who do not have a
Kenwood rig with a built-in TNC.  I was able to find some websites with
information like this, but it was specific to their personal use, not a
generalized document that Andrew appears to want to create.

I would like to help with this documentation project, however I am already
over-committed (work, family and commitments to SJRA).  I should be able to
find time to review the document.  Please contact me off-list to coordinate.

Regards,

Burton, NJ2IT

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 11:14 AM, Andrew P. via aprssig <aprssig at tapr.org>
wrote:

> > http://www.aprs.org/
>
> Well, that's the most obvious raw source of information, but it is not
> organized as a clear and efficient tutorial for the newbie, hence my
> proposed documentation project. I expect much information from WB4APR's
> website would be included or referenced in the proposed document, but not
> in the order presented on the website.
>
> Andrew, KA2DDO

Your mind is like a parachute, it works much better when it is open.