[aprssig] A Closer Look at the WA8LMF TNC Test CD

Rob Riggs mobilinkd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 12:53:31 EST 2016

Hi Stephen,

I am sure that is true.  The audio engineering on the test CD is top
notch.  I am grateful for the effort you have put into them.  We are all
better off for having them.

What I have found is that different model radios "hear" differently.  And
it is the output of imperfect signals, especially over-deviated or
off-frequency signals, where those differences manifest most.  I would
assume it is these sorts of packets, among others, that John is attempting
to catalog.

I have found that it is possible to over-fit an AFSK demodulator to the
test CD to the point that actual performance, when tested across multiple
radios, begins to decrease.  This is not unlike an AI training exercise,
where it is possible to over-fit the solution to the training set.

What I have found works best for me is to have training samples taken from
multiple sources to tune and validate a demodulator.

I agree with Scott that it would be good to have a larger sample set to
work with.  With the advent of the "ultra-cheap SDR" it should be possible
to enlist hams to collect these directly from across the globe.

Kind Regards,

Rob Riggs WX9O
Mobilinkd LLC