[aprssig] D710 cable

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 24 18:35:25 EST 2016

On 2/24/2016 2:32 PM, Kevin Deckert via aprssig wrote:
> Is there a usb programming cable available for the D710  so I dont have to use
> a usb to serial adaptor?

A "USB programming cable" is just a serial-to-USB adapter under a different
name. You still have to screw around with buggy drivers (usually identical to
the ones for a generic serial<-->USB dongle) to create a virtual serial port on
the PC, since the Kenwood memory management program thinks exclusively in terms
of serial COM ports.

About the only advantage of the "programming cable is that you have a single
cable assembly with the Kenwood-style 8-pin mini-DIN on one end,  instead of
two cables (Kendin-8-to DB9-Female and then DB9-Male-to-USB) back-to-back.

What ever kind of programming cable you get, make absolutely sure it is NOT NOT
NOT based on the Prolific 2303 serial<-->USB chip.   The driver issues with
this chip are absolutely endless.

See the whole horrible story on my website at:

<http://WA8LMF.net/ham/USB-Serial-Dongles.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

  _______ Windows 10 Outrages! _______
    <http://WA8LMF.net/Windows10_Info>

Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps