[aprssig] filtering weather stations on aprs.fi

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Feb 3 10:22:34 EST 2016

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016, Robert Bruninga via aprssig wrote:

> Give me the tip on how to turn off CWOP stations on APRS.FI.  I never can
> find it and hate the sea of blue...  Bob

1. Click the filter button
2. Click the red "down" arrow to move the "Station type: Weather" filter
down to the "and not" section
3. Enable the "Station type: Weather" filter by clicking its checkbox

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37346897/aprsfi/filter-cwop.png

That filters all weather stations, not just CWOP. To filter just CWOP,
create a custom filter using the '+' button, select filter type "Packet
path", and enter the string "*,CWOP*". That'll make a filter that has
,CWOP in the path, and you can then drop that filter to the "not"
category. Or deselect "All stations" to see only CWOP.

> Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> writes:
> But I see from your note that CWOP is separate (presumably a parallel
> CWOP-IS, which display sites merge in); I hadn't realized that.  On aprs.fi,
> selecting "APRS stations" and deselecting weather still shows non-amateur
> CWOP.  So presumably that's an aprs.fi bug (or lack of feature, if "APRS"
> means "data from some IS using the APRS protocol", rather than meaning "the
> Amateur APRS network").

Yep, if you select "Station class: APRS stations", it includes everything
that comes in using the APRS protocol, either from the APRS-IS or CWOP,
but not AIS boats or stations injected through the web site ("Web
stations").

However, if you use the "Station type: Weather" filter to filter out
weather stations, it does remove all weather stations (ham and CWOP).
Which seems to be the popular thing to do.

   - Hessu